Grandma Union

Grandma died listening to...

Sunday, January 22, 2006

The Duck & the Devil

My grandchildren stayed over this weekend. Johnny is simple like his father. He was playing out in the woods with his slingshot. He practiced in the woods, but he could never hit the target. Getting a little discouraged, he headed back for dinner. As he was walking back he saw my pet duck. Just out of impulse, he let the slingshot fly, hit the duck square in the head, and killed it. He was shocked and grieved. In a panic, he hid the dead duck in the woodpile, only to see his sister watching! Sally had seen it all, but she said nothing.

After lunch the next day I said, "Sally, let's wash the dishes." But Sally said, "Grandma, Johnny told me he wanted to help in the kitchen." Then she whispered to him, "Remember the duck?" So Johnny did the dishes. After several days of Johnny doing both his chores and Sally's he finally couldn't stand it any longer.

He came to me and confessed that he had killed the duck. I knelt down, gave him a hug, and said, "Sweetheart, I know. You see, I was standing at the window and I saw the whole thing. I didn’t say anything because whatever is in your past, whatever you have done...
The devil will rise from his stinking pit and take your eyes.

Thought for the day... and every day thereafter:

Don’t kill my duck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home